PIT ARFF Firefighting School
PIT ARFF Home
Register for 2014 Training
Payment and Health Policies
NEC-AAAE PIT-ARFF Registration
Meet the Staff
Fire Safety Tips
For more information:
P:(412) 472-5758 EST
Fire Safety Tips
Here are some basic safety tips that you can implement to help prevent a fire starting in your home:
- Never use ovens, stove top burners or grills as a primary or supplementary heat source. These units, burning over an excessive amount of time, may overheat and start a fire or can produce deadly fumes and Carbon Monoxide that can be deadly to anyone inside the structure.
- Because smoke and gases from a fire don’t follow a set path through your home, it is recommended that smoke/carbon monoxide detectors are installed on each floor of your home and in each bedroom.
- Keep all heating devices at least three feet away from other objects, such as walls and furnishings.
- Never fill a kerosene heater while still hot and inside your home. Avoid overfilling the units to prevent spills and expansion of the fuel when heated.
- When using a space heater, do not use an extension cord as it may not be able to handle the current that the heater is using and overheat. In addition, make sure the space heater is equipped with a safety kill switch, turning it off, in case the unit is knocked over.
- Keep candles at least one foot away from anything that burns especially highly flammable objects such as curtains and paper products. Never leave a candle unattended.
- Create an escape plan that shows at least two ways out of every room in your home and have a common meeting place outside where everyone will meet when they exit the house. Preferably this meeting place should be in a neighbor’s yard away from your house where the danger is.
- Test your smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors monthly by pushing the test button or by blowing smoke in the detector. Use a vacuum to clean out the dust from the detector at least once a year and make sure to replace the batteries in the detector at least twice a year. A good rule of thumb on when to replace the batteries is to change them when you change your clocks for daylight savings.
- Have your furnaces and chimneys professionally inspected and cleaned before each heating season.
- Burn only dry, clean hardwood in a wood stove or fireplace. Never burn plastics, trash, wood that has been treated with a preservative, paint or other combustible products as they may burn unpredictably hotter and cause the fire to spread throughout your home.
- Inspect extension cords before use for loose connections, frayed wires and the proper gauge as to what current it can handle. Never overload circuits or extension cords and do not run extension cords under carpets or place them where pets can reach them.
If you have any questions regarding these safety tips or other fire prevention methods please give us a call at (412) 472-5604.