PITTSBURGH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TRAVEL ADVISORY FOR 2013 HOLIDAY SEASON
PITTSBURGH, PA (December 20, 2013) – Make holiday travel easier when flying through Pittsburgh International Airport during the 2013 Christmas and New Year holidays with the following travel tips. In addition to monitoring weather, the Allegheny County Airport Authority would like to remind the traveling public that next week has some of the busiest travel days of the year.
For those catching flights throughout the holidays, passengers are reminded to check Pittsburgh International Airport’s Facebook page and Twitter feed at @PITairport to keep updated on any weather or travel related issues that may arise important information. The airport will begin to post anticipated security checkpoint forecasts for travelers beginning this weekend.
Additionally, travelers are reminded to check with the Transportation Security Administration for packing tips and to review the prohibited items lists at www.TSA.gov. The Alternate Security Checkpoint, located across the Commercial Departures Roadway outside of the Ticketing Level of the Landside Terminal is open from 4 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Here are some other important tips to remember when traveling during the 2013 Holiday Season:
- Arrive at the airport two hours prior to your flight.
- Keep valuables, medicine and other important items in your carry-on luggage.
- Wear easily removable shoes and coats.
- Prepare for heavy highway traffic and plan accordingly.
- Identify each bag with your name, address and contact number.
- Do not travel with wrapped gifts. Wrapped items might have to be unwrapped during security screenings. Consider shipping wrapped gifts to your destination before you travel.
- Other key items: Pack snow globes and toy guns in your checked bags. Familiarize yourself with the TSA’s guidelines for carry-on luggage at www.tsa.gov.
Pittsburgh International Airport’s Cell Phone parking lot is located within the airport’s Extended Parking lot and those coming to airport are urged to follow signs to extended parking to access the cell phone. Parking in the Extended Lots is free for the first hour of parking.
Pittsburgh International Airport’s website, www.FlyPittsburgh.com will have flight status updates and the exact level of available parking in short-term, long-term, and extended term parking. The airport also has a mobile application for smart phones, which provides the same information.